I’m a writer of fiction, as well as music and sport journalism. I was born and raised in Stockport, near Manchester in the UK. I’m 36 years old and I live in Germany.
Short story publications
– Magazines: Storgy (here), Open Pen (here), Selcouth Station (here) and Cabinet of Heed (here).
– Printed collections: Retreat West collection (here) and Audio Arcadia collection (here).
– Other: Longlist for the InkTears contest (here) and website for Obliterati Press (here).
Novel in progress
My first novel, Cutting Contest, is now complete and ready for submission to agents. It’s a contemporary upmarket fiction about a dry-humoured and hot-tempered young trombone player on the brink of professional and financial ruin. She snatches a spot in a sponsored jazz showdown where six musicians tour Europe and battle for attention on social media. Can she defeat her rivals to win the cash prize, turn her fortunes around – and finally earn the respect she craves from her despairing mother?
– Jazz journalism: Jazz Journal (here), Jazz in Europe (here), All About Jazz (here), Free Jazz Collective (here), Jazz Journalists Association (here).
– Sport journalism: Philadelphia Sport Network (here) and METRO newspaper Philadelphia (here).
You can contact me via email: mattybannond [at] gmail.com
My Twitter handle is @mattybannond